Friday, June 15, 2007

Short Term Goal (Mostly) Accomplished!

With my May 31st pay check, I accomplished my goal of accumulating $10,000 to be transferred into a one year CD. Unfortunately, I was traveling and didn’t really have time to deal with it at that moment. When I got back the next week and called the bank to close the account, I was informed that it would take 3-5 business days to receive the check. Yesterday I got the check and placed it in my checking account for the short term so that I can open my CD with one nice $10,000 check and start looking for a new savings or money market account. As soon as the check clears, I’m going to find the highest yield 1-year CD I can find.

In the meantime, with my short term goal completed, I need to start thinking about another short term goal. I have some major travel scheduled for the end of this month and need to take another (expensive) class, probably in August, meaning my rate of saving is going to take a hit for a little while. Perhaps a good financial goal would be saving $750 a month from now through December, but I’ll have to think about that.

In an effort to control how much money I make, I do have a couple of career goals for the short term. Over the next month I plan to determine where my next assignment will be. The current front runners are Manchester, NH and Tepotzotlán, Mexico. I think I could be happy either place, so for now, I’m just trying to manage the process and see whether Mexico even is a viable option. In addition to managing my next assignment, I also have the goal to update my résumé, compile a list of dream companies and send an e-mail to career services at my future school to see if I might use them to obtain an internship next summer. Hopefully I’ll get this done this week, but I definitely need to get it done before my mini-vacation.

No comments: