Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Category 7: Health

I am a generally healthy person. I’ve never had a cavity in my life and have no prescriptions that would be classified as life-saving. There have been no surgeries in my past and hopefully won’t be any in my future for a long time. That said, I still budget some money to health because I can’t always count on being healthy. I do have an HSA to cover these expenses, but I admit that I’m generally not using it because I’d like to save it for my more lean grad school years to come. Aside from the HSA, I have fairly good insurance coverage as well.

My health expenses are broken down into 5 subcategories, prescription, non-prescription, doctor’s appointment, vision appointment, and dentist appointment. My prescription category covers my current elective prescription and my glasses. Non-prescription is for things like over-the-counter cold medicine or a bottle of Tylenol. The other three categories cover all expenses related to an appointment with a medical professional.

I could decide to quit taking my current prescription, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost. Other than that, I’m happy and healthy.

No comments: